Happy “Sensational” Sunday! (Remember those?)
A couple of months ago I started counting macros and taking more time to plan my meals. It’s been teaching me a lot about how to balance nutrients especially with my workouts and the demands I’m putting on my body with weight training. I’m going on ten weeks of eating 140-150 g of protein a day, and I’m noticing a big difference.
Every Sunday I make 4-5 lunches for the week using a cookie sheet under the broiler. It’s fast, tasty and makes it super easy to measure out ingredients for tracking.
This is my favorite…
That’s onion, peppers, and chicken with a little of my homemade spice mix. You may think I’m crazy, but I don’t even heat it up at work. It’s delicious at room temp.
Here’s what I do:
- Preheat the broiler
- Cut and measure the onion and peppers. (pictured above is 165 grams of each)
- Spray the cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray
- Lay out the onion and peppers in strips, spray again and sprinkle with seasoning
- Place under the broiler
- Defrost 2 chicken breast slightly in the microwave, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Check on the peppers and onion and toss — repeat until they are pretty much done to your liking. I like mine scorched.
- Add the chicken to the sheet, sprinkling with seasoning and broil until no longer pink in the middle tossing every 2-3 minutes.
I’ve done this same technique with Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, and cauliflower rice and it always comes out fantastic! The funny thing is I use the same seasoning mix regardless what I’m roasting.
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red peppers
That makes quite a bit, so I keep it in a small bowl by the stove and pinch when needed. I’ve been using it for weeks!
Between these lunches made and my daily breakfast go-to smoothies, 2/3 of meals are taken care for the week, thankfully.
Dinner is a whole other story because there are three of other people I have to compromise and plan with.
Anyway, I’m gonna run. I still have a few things to do before tomorrow.
Oh! By the way, I took the snowman picture above today. I came home from a hike and the boys made them while I was gone. It made me smile.