Where to I begin? It’s been a whirlwind of a week that was kicked off by a crazy weekend — so crazy I’m not sure I have the energy to recap it. Let’s just say it involved a pool, baking, wine (a LOT of wine and good friends), a kid’s birthday party and a baseball game with The Husband. Monday was my birthday and this week at work has been busy and interesting, to say the least. So let me bullet point a few things so I feel no pressure to actually write a cohesive blog post — you know that’s why I really do these “Thursday Thought” posts, right?
- First of all my friend at work gave this nifty retrogram board — great gift idea by the way! click here to see it on Amazon — and I am IN LOVE. Every day since I got it I’ve posted a new message. I just can’t help myself!
I feel the need to continue this daily tradition now. I love stuff like this. Especially because it helps bring a fun culture into work. Speaking of…
- I don’t talk much about work because, well, it seems unprofessional, but the truth is I haven’t been very happy there recently. Turnover is high, morale is low and in the next month, there will be pretty much two of us doing the work of 5. I made the decision this week, however, that I could be part of the problem or part of the solution. Yes, I realize how cliche that sounds but it’s the truth. In these kinds of work situations, we can either internalize, bite our tongues and just unhappily go with the broken flow OR we can keep trying, take responsibility, and try to make a positive change. I’m pushing for change and it’s given me a bit of a boost.
- My “boost” however is a bit of a chicken/egg situation. I feel like my old self again so maybe the boost is coming from a different place. I’m currently 35% done with the travel agent online training course. For those who actually visit my site instead of reading this in the email, you may have seen this ad…
It’s the first bridge from my blog to my travel agent sales site. I’m nervous as hell about this, which makes me want to do it even more — pushing the comfort zone again! Saturday I’m heading up to Delaware to meet with the franchise partner I’ll be working with. I’m also starting to set up all my accounts with the different travel suppliers and it’s getting exciting. So far I’m loving learning about the industry and setting up my site. Next week The Husband and I are doing our long weekend getaway and I want to look up the resort we are staying in to see if I could have gotten a better rate than booking through the resort’s website.
- Since I mentioned it, yup, next weekend my thoughts may be coming to you from Mexico. This is the third year we’ve taken an all-inclusive weekend without the kids in August. The Husband and I are counting down the minutes. We’re looking forward to some alone time, especially after nights like this.
- In stark contrast, there are also days like today, which I shared with this photo on Facebook earlier…
I’m trying to live in the moment. I really am but man it’s so hard some days.
- Linking those two stories reminds me — I’ve been “blogging” (sharing) more. I don’t know if that’s what’s helping me feel better or I’m feeling better so I’m sharing more and more. See, this is what I mean about chicken/egg situation, but I guess it doesn’t matter. I’ve been feeling pretty good lately, so why ruin it with some overanalysis of myself?
- In completely unrelated news I just got word that Amazon is retiring its aStore service, which brought me down memory lane. aStore was Amazon’s old way of letting people add stores to their sites. I made one for GreenLiteBites WAY back in the day and totally forgot about it until I got the notice. Click here to see my old GreenLiteBites store. Some of the products I recommended back then made me smile. Some I still use quite frequently and some I haven’t bought in years. It’s funny how something so silly can be so reminiscent.
- I’m going to leave you with this TedTalk I fell in love with…
I’ve been listening to them while doing some mindless tasks at work and this one inspired me, made me laugh and, of course, cry. Maysoon Zayid is amazing!
Hope you had an amazing Thursday. I’m off to bed. It’s been a loooong day.