RoniNoone.com

Pursuing Passions

I hinted in my previous post about some news, and I’m now ready to come clean. “Clean” isn’t the right word, but it feels a little like that since I’ve been keeping a few things to myself these last few months.

Today is my last day as an Instructional Technologist at Peabody.

This is my second resignation in two years.

Gosh, that sounds horrible when I say it out loud, but it’s true. I’m terrible at keeping (well, staying at) full-time gigs.

Both my last two positions started out the same — I was excited to take on some responsibility, join a team and feel productive. The first few months at each job were fantastic! Getting up to speed, learning the systems, meeting my co-workers. I truly enjoyed the experiences, but both also had their challenges, and over time I would become disenchanted and unhappy. Then I’d wonder why I was wasting time doing something that doesn’t make me happy when I have a family at home I could be spending more time with and passions I could pursue that truly fulfill me.

After many months of soul-searching, I decided, I had enough. That’s when I started to put things in motion:

• I rebuilt GreenLiteBites. A much needed (although not lucrative) creative outlet for me.
  • I got ACE certified as a Personal Trainer and applied at a local gym.
  • I reached out to old colleagues about teaching at the Community College again.

On paper, I know I have it all: a good job, fantastic benefits, and a stable full-time salary. I know many people who would love to be in my position. For Pete’s sake two years ago that’s all I wanted, and it took me nearly two years to get it!

I’m Insane.

I came across this illustration by searching “I quit” in google images.

The post it comes from is called “I Quit” (go figure), and it resonated with me. The author talks about not quitting just because things get hard and it made me ponder.

Is that what I’m doing?

Am I’m just quitting this position because things got hard?

Did I leave my last job when it got hard too?

Maybe. Maybe staying is/was the right decision but in both cases, I left because it didn’t feel right. Mostly, I felt trapped, unproductive and oddly, underutilized.

Quitting is what feels hard.

As I type this, I still feel a little insane for resigning. I know I’m going to end up working more and making less, but you know what? I also know I’ll be happier. I’m ecstatic about being home more with the kids. The idea of being in the classroom again is exciting. And I’m already inspired in the kitchen, cooking and creating more.

I guess only time will tell if this was the right decision, but I have a feeling my future self will look back with no regrets.

14 comments

1. Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me - August 10, 2018 6:45 pm

I thought you were going to say you were becoming a full time travel agent!

• Roni - August 10, 2018 6:46 pm

HA! I need to add that. It was another way I’m “pursuing passions”.

2. Josie Elizabeth - August 10, 2018 6:53 pm

So happy for you, Roni. I look forward to seeing all the wonderful things you accomplish!

• Roni - August 10, 2018 6:53 pm

YOU TOO! Don’t think you haven’t been inspiring me all this time. 🙂

3. Agnes - August 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Love it, love it, love it! Can’t wait to keep reading about your adventures!

4. Kelly Fuller - August 10, 2018 7:13 pm

You inspire me to do the same! I feel stagnant.

5. nancyabc - August 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Congrats to you.
    Hope this is what you’ve been looking for.

6. Carol - August 10, 2018 7:19 pm

Proud of you Roni for making this change & feeling it’s right for you. Soo many don’t have that ability or courage due to their circumstances. It’s never wrong to do what feels right to you & without negatively impacting the folks you love. All the best. Looking forward to reading your adventures, recipes & thoughts. 🕊Fly little bird.

7. Mary - August 10, 2018 7:20 pm

Thanks Roni – you just inspired me to update the resume and take a good, hard look at a job I saw advertised the other. This was just the <> I needed!

• Vicky - August 10, 2018 7:44 pm

I’m sooo glad you share your experiences with us because we realize we’re not the only ones trying to figure things out. I’ve been experiencing the same internal discussion trying to figure out what my next phase should be. I’m an instructional designer and no longer enjoying the detail-level work and all the constant revisions/feedback. I enjoy helping people grow through training and inspiration and also thinking about face to face training again. Of course that means less income but with less stress and more fulfillment. I’m on my forties now and it makes sense to start a new chapter that feels right.

8. Jodi - August 11, 2018 2:57 am

Good for you. I’ve been dealing with a 4-hr commute since moving last summer, and it’s been quite the difficult year. I wish I could resign, but hubby said it’s not the best idea. I’m so unhappy but keep applying for jobs in hopes something comes along. I know you’ll do great at whatever you put your mind too!

9. Gara seagraves - August 13, 2018 10:17 am

Congrats! Wondering if full time just felt so much more constraining after after several years of freelancing, teaching etc? I’ve been at home with the kids and facilitating our cross country move this last 15 months or so and getting ready to head back to work in the next three months. Right now I’m really struggling to decide whether I should take an hourly work from home position, or apply for some full time office positions. I know I’m so lucky to have the option to choose either, but I also don’t want to make the wrong decision and be miserable six months down the line.

10. Christie - August 13, 2018 2:32 pm

I think we all aspire to do exactly that, fulfill our passions and do what we love. Congratulations on making the difficult decision to leave the full time job and forge your own path! You can never go wrong in the pursuit of your own dreams and desires!

11. Chris Baerg - August 15, 2018 3:49 am

Here’s something that I read today that might be appropriate.

I have come to accept the fact of not knowing where I am going and I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to, but the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you’re going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

~ C JoyBell C